Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Funny Food Names

Remember this is prepared food week?

Tonight we enjoyed hummus, tapenade, and mini-pitas. When he ran out of pitas, our oldest asked if he could have more "air biscuits."

It's a fitting name, and we think it might stick.

I'm not sure I have that many readers yet, but for those of you out there, what are some of the funny names for food that have become a standard in your family's vocabulary? Actually, what are some funny food names you've heard, whether they stuck or not?

I posted last week about the three year old's request for "muggets" and "hanimanburgers" from "O'Donnel's," which is cute and all, but I find it especially funny when they come up with an original word rather than just a mispronunciation.

One of our oldest's first words was "dobby bread" which is a peanutbutter sandwich. We referred to them as such for at least four years, but sadly, I think that it has worn off now that he's five and so much more sophisticated.

When I was little, four I think, I asked my parents for "rubbed cheese." It took them forever to figure out that I meant "grated cheese." My family will still playfully refer to grated cheese as rubbed cheese in my presence.

Any other food funnies to share?

2 comments:

  1. My 3yo daughter is an endless source of these and, of course, I can't think of any right now. She kept asking when the "sugar-treaters" were coming Saturday. We got our vegetable delivery today and she jumped up and down because they sent a pinecone (pineapple). And when we're at my in-laws she calls the Coke "Ben's Beer" (Ben would be my 18yo brother-in-law).

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our house, we have picked up on Mr. Toad's words, especially "muggets" (I love them, too) and we think often of his word for banana, which sounds something like "na-na-na-na-na-na..."

    ReplyDelete